Thursday, January 26, 2012

What Dodd-Frank has Cost ME

What a terrible piece of legislation. It won't do anything to stop the crony capitalists who SHOULD have been taught a lesson by being allowed to go bankrupt. Instead, the government propped them up with taxpayer money, then passed this horrid piece of legislation to "prevent" a future occurance. Right. If you want to offset corporate greed, give them something to FEAR - that is, a loss of everything. All Dodd-Frank does is to make it MORE important for large corporations to cozy up to your elected officials and buy influence so that they can continue side-stepping the regulations.

Anyway, nearly 3 years ago, I thought it would be smart to play the Forex markets, which included spot silver and spot gold. I did very well for a few months, then got in deep on a silver position. Not having done sufficient research into fundamentals, I got scared and sold off my leveraged 300 ounces of silver at about $14.80 an ounce (having bought the 300 ounces at about $16.50 an ounce) for a loss of around $500. I closed my trading account and resolved not to trade Forex anymore until I had money I could afford to lose. Of course, silver is now trading at about $33 an ounce. Whoops.


In December, having done much more research into the fundamentals of silver and gold, and having $500 that I could afford to lose, I resolved to once again open a trading account on the first trading day in January. I planned to buy 10 ounces of gold at 50:1 margin - which would have cost me about $320 since gold was trading at right under $1,600 - and hold the position for at least the whole year. At most, I'd lose my $500 trading balance (since Forex.com does not allow you to lose more money than you have in your account) and at best, I could make $7,000 if gold hits the $2,300 level that many economists predict by year end. Only problem was, when I went to open my account, I found I could no longer buy gold at 50:1 margin. I could still buy currencies at 100:1 margin, but gold had to be bought outright at 1:1. Since I still don't have a good understanding of currency fundamentals, and I didn't have $1,600 to buy an ounce of spot gold, I didn't open the account. So WHY couldn't I trade gold on margin anymore? A quick Google search turned up the answer: Dodd-Frank outlawed trading precious metals on margin beginning in July of 2011.

So, with gold trading above $1720 today, Messrs. Dodd and Frank, together with the rest of congress and the president, have, to date, cheated me out of twelve hundred dollars. Thanks a lot.

3 comments:

  1. I suppose I should be thanking them for now, with gold trading at $1582 at this moment. We'll see where it is at year end, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and gold is now trading above $1700 again. And every gold commentator is saying the rise has just begun. I'm really gonna be pissed at Dodd and Frank when its trading above its previous highs by year end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Final verdict: Roughly 1675 if I'd sold on Dec 31. Could have made $750. We'll see where 2013 brings us.

    ReplyDelete