Friday, September 29, 2006

Humility? .... Or Evidence of Something Very Wrong?....

So when I was growing up all the adults were like "get good grades" and "good grades are something to be proud of" and all that stuff. So why do I feel so bad every time I get good grades?? I have had 3 tests so far this semseter, all in different classes. Better than 90 on all three. Highest grade in the class on at least one of them. And everytime someone asks what I got they get this saddish sort of jealous look in their eye when I tell them. It just kills me. Why do I get these good grades when my studying habits are absolutely horrible? Do I really deserve these grades when there are so many others who would kill to have them, who actually study ahead of time, who really try? I am always worried everyone is going to hate me because I did so well on the tests. So what is this crap about you should be proud of your grades? Its really not worth it. Next test I'm going to fail. On purpose.




OH WAIT! I recognize something here! Peer pressure. To do badly. Wow what a concept. And guess what? Our entire school system of grades is designed to MAKE PEOPLE WANT TO DO BADLY! Come on now you see it too don't you? Not that I don't like Houghton, don't get me wrong. Its an excellent place as schools go. But it still subscribes to the same system that everyone else does. Make the students focus on grades. More specifically, "C" grades. It totally takes the focus off of what it should be. EDUCATION. LEARNING.

DOWN WITH GRADES! BOY WAS I GLAD I WAS ABLE TO MISS OUT ON THIS CRAP FOR 9 YEARS DURING MY HOMESCHOOLING CAREER.

Check this out folks, very eye opening

4 comments:

  1. That's true. But...what are you going to do about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebel. Write blogs. Talk to people. In short, get an undercurrent of discontent started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, interesting. Why an undercurrent of discontent? Why not do research and get into the education system or politics and lobby for change? I guess what I really meant was, what are your suggestions to improve the system?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. ha. ha. My suggestion to improve the public school system at large is to completely get rid of it. I'm sure you can see how lobbying for change in the accepted channels would get absolutely nowhere on this. That is why I strive to inform as many as possible. Private colleges such as this one would not need to be gotten rid of but they would need to get rid of the grading system and focus more on teaching students not grading them. I encourage you to check out the link on this post. Our current school system was NOT created to educate us. And yes you read that correctly.

    ReplyDelete